A Song For Nigeria


Tell me to sing a song for her
Tell me to say a prayer for her
A dirge is all that comes to mind.
A splurge of all the negative emotions
 that have welled up inside.
Nothing works, almost all is buried,
And above the floods that bury our hopes for this generation
Is this selfish unconcerned populace.


When I point one finger at them
Three seem to point back at me
Abi? 
No!!
Three fingers actually point back at me
As they do, the burden on me is much higher.

The verse rings out to me
It chimes a bass like tune
"Come off your high horses
Just be the change you want to see!"

Selah! Hold that thought,
just for a minute spare that hurt;
Spare it the wear and tear you cause
When you repeatedly state the obvious
What is your part to play?
Are you doing it? 
Is it honest and purposeful?
Is it tuned to the sounds of true change? 
Are you practicing your part well for the day the stage is set?
If you were to give up the ghost today
would it be said you  left a vacuum
but you empowered others to fill it?

At this point the song is no longer a dirge,
It’s not a rhyme, nor a poem
It’s rather a chant with no ending
The end is what I choose it to be
The chorus is repeated to breathe life and hope.

How are we doing with this chant?
It’s a little out of tune here and there
A little Do Re Mi Fa So La Ti Do here and there,
Lets add a little harmony here, some melody there,
Hum, hum, hum
Get the tune? We all stop!
We all start again!!

Let's not give up!
For Nigeria, this Nigeria
someday, somehow will have an ending
that is greater than the beginning thereof.
So help me God!!

Comments

Popular Posts